What is VIKALP
VIKALP is the name given for Alternate Train Accommodation Scheme (ATAS), a newly launched scheme by Indian Railways
What is Alternate Train Accommodation Scheme (ATAS)
This is the scheme to ensure that the passengers who opted for VIKALP can be provided confirmed berths in any alternate trains (if available) if the passengers are waitlisted in the train they selected during ticket booking.
This scheme will help Indian Railways not loose revenue when one side Passengers are waitlisted in the selected train, whereas other side , other trains go vacant.
When is Alternate Train Accommodation Scheme (ATAS) effective from
The scheme will be effective from 1st April 2017
What are key highlights of VIKALP
1. Passengers need to opt for VIKALP option while booking the tickets to avail benefits of Alternate Train Accommodation Scheme (ATAS)
2. The scheme will be initially applicable to e-tickets but soon will be applicable to PRS tickets
3. Passengers who opted for VIKALP should check PNR status after charting to know whether they have been allotted any confirmed berth or not
4. Either all passengers of a PNR or none will be transferred to alternate train in same class
5. Passengers who opted for VIKALP and are provided accommodation in the alternate train will not figure in the waitlisted charts of their original train
6. Passengers who booked in a normal Mail/Express train can be shifted to an alternate Mail/Express, Rajdhani, Humsafar, Duronto, Shatabdi, Special train or Suvidha train in the same class of accommodation or vice versa subject to opting for this scheme
7. Passengers who opted for VIKALP and are provided accommodation in the alternate train will not be allowed to board the original train. If they travel on the original train then they will be treated as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly
8. Passengers, upon allotment of confirmed berths in the alternate train, will receive SMS alert on their Registered mobile phone number
9. If a passenger cancels the confirmed berth provided in the alternate train, then the cancellation charges will be applied as per charges applied during cancellation of confirmed tickets
Read VIKALP to know history of this initiative.